Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
menu
» Back to: Parks home » Planning & Stewardship » Cultural Resources Stewardship » History in the Parks » Kingsley Schoolhouse

Kingsley Schoolhouse

Kingsley Schoolhouse
Little Bennett Regional Park
24472 Clarksburg Road
Clarksburg, MD 20871
301-650-4373
EVENTS | DIRECTIONS & PARKING | HISTORY | RESTORATION

Of the late 19th-century one room schoolhouses still existing in Montgomery County, the Kingsley Schoolhouse is one of the few that remains in a basically unaltered state. This site is being furnished to reflect its historic appearance in the late 1920s based on oral histories taken from former students throughout the years. Thanks to a corps of dedicated Parks volunteers, the schoolhouse now hosts special events and free interpretive tours. Learn more about this treasured historic site in our YouTube video.

NOTE: In the event of severe weather, please call ahead to confirm the park will be open before traveling to the site. Call 301-650-4373 for a recorded message of the most current park event hours.

Events

2016 History in the Parks Season Opening Celebrations - April 1-3 & 9

Join us for free guided tours and children’s programming at Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park, the Underground Railroad Trail, Josiah Henson Park, Kingsley Schoolhouse and Oakley Cabin during our History in the Parks 2016 Season Opening Celebrations.

Kingsley video linkFree Guided Tours

1st Sunday of the month | April - October | 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Please join us in April for the start of the 2016 History in the Parks event season when you can join dedicated park volunteers for free guided tours of Kingsley Schoolhouse the first Sunday of each month April through October.

Learn more about this treasured historic site in our YouTube video.

Directions & Parking

From I-270 take exit 18 East onto Rte. 121 East. Follow to Route 355 and turn left. Turn right onto Clarksburg Rd. The parking areas listed below will be on your right in approx. 2 miles. The Schoohouse is a short hike from either parking area. - Google map for parking and the school.

  • Kingsley Parking Area
    24758 Clarksburg Road , Clarksburg, MD 20871
    The schoolhouse is a 3/4 mile walk along the Kingsley Trail, a flat gravel lane.
  • Froggy Hollow Trailhead Parking Area
    24472 Clarksburg Road, Clarksburg, MD 20871
    The schoolhouse is a 1/2 mile walk on the Froggy Hollow Trail, a natural surface trail.

Three pictures from inside and around the Kingsley Schoolhouse

History

Built in 1893 in response to the need for a school within walking distance of farms located in the Little Bennett Creek Valley, the Kingsley Schoolhouse served the local community until it closed in 1935. The building served all the farm families in the rural Kingsley area, teaching around 20 children at a time ranging in age from 6-12 years old. The schoolhouse was closed after additional schools were constructed in the upper county and attendance was reported to be dwindling.

Each school day would end the same way it began, with the ringing of the school bell.  A wood burning stove was used to warm the room. The classroom was sparsely furnished with a slate chalkboard, simple wooden desks, a globe and a Victrola record player. The playground was behind the building and included swings and seesaws. If weather permitted, the boys and girls played basketball, softball, dodge ball and other activities like fishing, ice skating, and sledding.

The front-gable building has a stone foundation and is covered with German siding. At the west end of the corrugated tin roof is the framework for a bell. Since the immediate area was known locally as Froggy Hollow – due to the large number of frogs that could be heard peeping in the low-lying area - the school acquired the nickname of Froggy Hollow School.

Restoration

Since the first opening for a single public event in 2007, the Schoolhouse was opened only once a year by the Clarksburg Historical Society and Little Bennett Regional Park management. Thanks to a corps of dedicated Parks volunteers the schoolhouse now hosts events and free interpretive tours since the summer of 2012.

Restoration efforts target the 1893 - mid-1920s period. Those years are the ones best remembered by former students through oral history interviews conducted by the Department of Parks over many years. Interpretation of the school, however, dates to the later 1920s and early 1930s. The current furnishings reflect this time period.

back to top - Last update: March 2, 2016